- Our usual train services operated to the normal timetable;
- Steam trains were operating on each day; and
- Footplate rides on the locomotive were available: more details of this are given below.
As well as our train services, the event featured at least the following activities in the Engine House:
- a replica landspeeder;
- ewoks, stormtroopers and other characters, thanks to the contribution of the Sentinel Squad UK; and
- a model starship display.
Special fares applied for each day, namely £8 for an adult, £3.50p for a child and £20 for a family ticket (covering up to 2 adults and 3 children). The various travel concessions that apply to our normal train services did not apply for this event.
As well as our normal range of refreshments, including hot and cold drinks and sweets, we had a range of sandwiches available on each day.
Whilst every effort will be made to provide the advertised services, The Middleton Railway Trust Ltd. reserves the right to amend or cancel any service without prior notice and accepts no liability whatsoever for any inconvenience, loss or disappointment caused, including travel expenses.
The replica landspeeder
A footplate ride gives you the opportunity to ride in the cab of a steam locomotive, for one return journey from Moor Road to Park Halt and back again. See for yourself just what has to be done to make these historic machines work!
There are a number of special conditions that do have to apply to this, however, and these are as follows.
- For a footplate ride you must be at least 18 years old, and not older than 76 years.
- You also need to be in reasonable health - at least up to the level that is required to drive a motor car - and at the time of the experience you must not be under the influence of either drink or drugs.
- No prior booking is needed: rides will be available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- A special charge will apply of £20.00p, in addition to the usual fare, and this special charge will go towards the efforts of the Sentinel Squad to raise funds for the charity "little hiccups", which they are supporting. If you are willing to make a donation on top of this minimum charge, this will be much appreciated.
- You will need to wear suitable clothes. Elaborate costumes are not recommended - they are really not compatible with steam locomotive footplates!
- In particular, you will need to wear reasonably stout shoes. Trainers are not sufficient - they would not protect your toes if a lump of coal dropped on them!
Other pages of our web site will provide more information about: