The Railway is operated entirely by volunteers and welcomes new recruits. There are always vacancies for a whole range of jobs including the following:-
- Operating the trains - drivers, firemen, cleaners, guards etc.
- Staffing the sales shop and booking office.
- Restoring and servicing the locomotives and other rolling stock.
- Maintaining the track and stations.
Some of the jobs require serious commitment, but on the other hand there are plenty of jobs which allow volunteers to put in whatever amount of time and effort they feel able to donate. Unlike some of the larger railways, Middleton Railway does not have a departmental structure, and so individuals are able to take part in a wide range of activities. Training will be provided as required and experience gained at other railways will be taken into account.
If you are interested, the next step is to visit the Railway and talk to some of the volunteers there. Please note that age restrictions do apply for some volunteering activities.
Anyone wishing to become a volunteer must become a member of the Middleton Railway prior to attending a short mandatory Health & Safety course. Once these two stages are accomplished you will be able to attend as a volunteer.
The following memberships are available during 2017:-
- Adult Annual membership £20.50p;
- Seniors Annual membership £15.50p;
- Junior (under 18 years) Annual membership £14.50p;
- Family membership £4.00 per person in addition to one Adult membership;
- Life Membership £370.00p.
Alternatively you may wish to become a member of the Trust without volunteering. By doing so, you will provide valuable support to the Railway and be able to monitor its progress via the quarterly magazine "The Old Run".
If you would like to become a member, please click on this link to download a membership form (as a pdf file). This form also includes a gift aid declaration, but please note that we can only reclaim gift aid on any additional donation that you make, and not on your actual subscription.