The following locomotives can usually be found on site at the Middleton Railway, except for the occasional visits to other lines. The number in brackets is the loco's 'Middleton number' they aren't carried but are used in fleet lists and on display pannels to identify the locomotives.
This page gives a brief overview of our collection, for much more information we have our stocklist booklet available in the shop, details are at the bottom of the page.
Key: O - Operational, D - Static Display, U - Under Overhaul, S - Stored
DIESEL AND ELECTRIC LOCOMOTIVES
Last Updated 29/7/12
Many mining locomotives were built in Leeds by companies such as the Hunslet Engine Co. One of the first displays in the Engine House is dedicated to these often unseen engines. This display has been made possible by the loan of exhibits from the National Coal Mining Museum.
We have an example of a narrow gauge rack loco built for underground mining work, Hunslet 8505 of 1980. The rack principle was first used in Leeds on our line to move coal from Middleton Colliery, it allowed the light locos that wouldn't break the tracks to pull great loads, the system was later used to allow locos to tackle severe gradients.
The 4 wheel narrow gauge diesel loco is Hunslet number 6279 of 1963, It is a development of locos the firm built in the Second World War for use in military facilities and supply lines. This version was used for working in a coal mine.
One of the engines has rubber tyres, apart from this it was similar to the firm’s locomotives. It was designed as an alternative to pit ponies, with particular attention to export markets. It is one of a number of examples of non-railway machinery that Hunslet Engine Co. produced.
Built for the London & North Eastern Railway it was used for its entire working life in engineers sidings at Darlington. Only 3 months after withdrawal from traffic it was delivered to the Middleton Railway in 1961. It is an unusual engine in that the wheels are chain driven and the steam is produced by a vertical boiler.
1310 is a North Eastern Railway Class H 0-4-0T which was built in 1891 at the NER's Gateshead works. 24 locomotives of this design were built between 1888 and 1923, mainly for dock shunting and departmental duties, though one of them aspired to the dizzy heights of passenger work on the erstwhile North Sunderland Railway.
These two locomotives are very similar in design, inspite of nearly 40 years difference in age. Henry de Lacy II worked in Kirkstall Forge from delivery in 1917 until closure of the works’ railway system in 1968. Built in 1955 Mirvale might sound quite new for a steam loco, it is newer than many of our diesels! Hudswell Clarke were still building steam locos 'til 1961, across the road at Hunslet they were still building steam locomotives for the National Coal Board up to 1964 and produced their last export steam loco as late as 1971. Mirvale worked at Mirvale Chemical Co of Mirfield until 1964. In 1968 at just 13 years old she entered preservation at the North York Moors Railway, soon proving too small for their requirements she came to the Middleton in 1986. Step access has been built to the cabs and a walkway at running plate height provided so that visitors can get up close to these engines and look inside their cabs.
This was one of seven locos working at Portland Cement at Swanscombe in Kent. This engine has a bit of an identity crisis as various parts are stamped with the numbers of most of it's workmates, parts having being regularly swapped between engines, our works plates say 3860. This green saddle tank engine with its Portland Cement number 6 is of course much better known by it's name, Percy.
As well as a few locos from further away than the local firms of Leeds we have a couple that have have come from further still. In the engine house we have a couple of quite different continental locos on display.
385 is an 0-4-0WT locomotive which was built by the German firm of Richard Hartmann in 1895. Prior to its acquisition by members of the Steam Power Trust, it was operated by the Danish State Railways (DSB) and used to shunt stock on and off the numerous ferries that plied between the various islands of Denmark. The locomotive arrived at Middleton in 1972 and steamed regularly between 1985 and 1999 when it was taken out of traffic.
This engine was supplied to the Ministry of Supply, used at first in Swynnerton Royal Ordnance factory. It moved to the Royal Ordnance factory at Salwick, later the UK Atomic Energy Authority and finally BNFL. It was a standby loco with two Hudswell diesels doing much of the work so it remained in good condition. It came to the Middleton in 1972 and was in use for 18 years.
Matthew Murray was built by Manning, Wardle in 1903 (Works No.1601 - Class L), for P.&W. Anderson and Company to use in their contract to build the Kent Portland Cement Works, Andersons' then sold the locomotive to the cement company, it remained there until 1967. It was sold to the Industrial Locomotive Preservation Co. based on the Kent and East Sussex Railway. Here it enjoyed some use as their No.17 in the early days of public running on that line, but was stored out of use by the mid 1970's, 1601 was purchased privately, and by the late 1980's was at the Buxton depot of the Peak Railway Society, undergoing repairs. The Loco was sold to the Middleton Railway where it arrived on 31st January 1990. Much work was done to the loco and a new boiler was needed to return it to service.
Peckett of Bristol produced a large number of 0-4-0ST locomotives for industrial use. 2103 is however a variation of the normal design, having a low cab so that it could work in the confines of the wagon tippler at Croydon power station.
Built in 1890 by Cockerill of Liege, Belgium, the loco is a standard 0-4-0 shunting engine but quite different to British locos. It has a vertical boiler married to a "normal" 0-4-0 chassis using Walschaert's valve gear as opposed to the normal British practice of using Stephenson's valve gear. 1625 was kindly donated to the Middleton Railway by the late Mr Hugh Wainwright's Estate in 1997 and was the oldest locomotive in the operating fleet until it was withdrawn from service in December 2000 following the expiry of its 10 year boiler 'ticket'.
Brookes No. 1 was built by the Hunslet Engine Company for Brookes Chemicals Ltd and set to work in the company's private sidings at its Lightcliffe Works near Halifax. In 1983, the locomotive was purchased by the Peak Railway Society, becoming the society's first working steam loco at Buxton. The locomotive was purchased by a Middleton member in 1991 and moved to Moor Road. It was subjected to an extensive overhaul starting in 1995 and became operational again in 1999. For several years the locomotive was fitted with side tanks and spent much of its time visiting other railways as one of the licensed 'Thomas' locomotives. In 2007 it had its saddle tank re-fitted and it became Brookes No. 1 once again.
Sir Berkeley is a standard Manning-Wardle class L 0-6-0ST. Sir Berkeley was built with only a weather board rather than a full cab. The loco exhibits all the hallmarks of a late Victorian locomotive. The locomotive, which is owned by the Vintage Carriages Trust at Ingrow, Keighley & Worth Valley Railway, appeared in the 1968 BBC TV version of "The Railway Children" with Jenny Agutter and Gordon Gostelow.
At a recent overhaul it was found that Sir Berkeley's boiler was beyond economical repair and a new one was built by the Bradford firm Isreal Newton's. Rather than simply scrap the old boiler we cut bits out of it so that visitors can see how a boiler is put together and how it works. The National Railway Museum has a sectioned Bullied pacific to demonstrate how that works, that was one of the ultimate developments of the steam locomotive so what we have in our Engine House is quite the other end of the scale.
This design of loco dates back to around 1917 when Manning, Wardle and Co built six examples for Stewarts and Lloyds at Corby. When Manning, Wardle and Co. closed in 1927, their goodwill and drawings were passed to Kitson & Company who went on to build abother batch of seven locomotives, including 'Conway'. After closure of Kitson's four more were still produced, this time at Robert Stephenson Hawthornes of Darlington.
This loco worked on a sugar cane railway in Trinidad. When it was replaced by diesels (also built by Hunslet) it was abandoned. It was found rusted and covered in vegetation and was brought back to its birthplace for eventual restoration. It currently looks very much as it did when found in Trinidad, an enormous amount of work will be needed to restore it to working order.
This unusual design of Hunslet tank engine worked for a number of firms, ending up at Kilmersdon Colliery in Somerset in 1964. From there it ended up in preservation and was kept at a number of railways.
Supplied new to Pye Hill Colliery in Nottinghamshire it worked there until the 1960s when it was reduced to standby duties. In 1971 it was sold into preservation at Shackerstone.
Tanks for 6 and 11 wait for completed engines to sit on.
1369 is one of Hudswell Clarke's "long tank" design of locomotives. This locomotive was purchased by the Manchester Ship Canal (MSC) company from new and was one of their 70 strong fleet of steam locomotives. At that stage the Manchester Ship Canal complex was one of the largest privately owned railway systems in the country. In 2002, after an extensive three year overhaul, the loco ran at Middleton for the first time painted in the MSC's grey livery.
Built in 1924 by Hudswell, Clarke (works No. 1544) the locomotive was delivered new to the Slough Trading Company where it spent its entire working life. On closure of the railway in the 1970’s the loco was transferred on loan to the Mid Hants Railway where it was dismantled then effectively forgotten. In the 1980’s custodianship was transferred to the Slough & Windsor Railway Society and restoration to working order began. A new firebox and smokebox were fitted by Luggs and much other work done by the S&WRS. Restoration took about 10 years and the loco eventually entered service on the Swindon & Cricklade Railway. During 2009 the loco was taken out of service for another overhaul and the boiler went to the Hunslet Engine Co for various work to be carried out. The loco re-entered service in 2010 and has since moved to the Middleton Railway.
This is a very historically significant loco for a number of reasons. Demonstrated at the British Industries Fair in 1932 it was trialed at Waterloo Main Colliery for a time before going to the London Midland & Scottish Railway. A number of different designs of diesel shunter were trialled in the Hunslet Lane goods depot (a short walk from the works where it was built). Though the engine went in to War Department service the LMS had obviously seen the advantages of diesel shunters. Prior to nationalisation they had begun ordering large numbers of diesel shunters, many of them the English Electric shunters who’s decendants still operate on the mainline railways today. Shortly prior to nationalisation the LMS had also ordered the first mainline diesel locos.
After the war 1697 was returned to Hunslet, it was overhauled and used as a short term hire loco before being sold to the Middleton Railway in 1960, our first locomotive.
Recognising the historical significance of the loco it was displayed in the National Railway Museum in York between 1978 and 1989
Fowler 3900002 of 1945 is typical of Leeds firm John Fowler’s small shunters. A couple of missing parts mean it is not currently serviceable however it has been cosmetically restored to its original condition. It is displayed with it’s engine compartment doors open so that visitors can see how a diesel locomotive is constructed and it to has its various parts labelled.
Named 'Courage' after the brewery where it worked it also has the nickname 'Sweet Pea'
Hunslet Engine Co built a number of locos to orders to orders received through Leeds firm Robert Hudson, though these were mostly narrow gauge. Sweet Pea represents the most basic ‘no frills’ model produced by Hunslet, lacking a proper cab and having to be started with a handle. This loco is occasionally used on trains at special events, though the lack of a vacuum brake system means it can only work with another loco in the train that is capable of operating vacuum brake stock.
Built in 1932, Mary is the same age as John Alcock so it is interesting to compare the two locos (usually they will be quite close to each other in the Engine House) produced either side of Jack Lane in Hunslet. When these firms began producing steam locomotives it was difficult to tell them apart, however by the time the diesel age had come along the firms had clearly developed their own style.
One interesting feature is the design of the cab. All the controls are designed to look the same as the controls of steam locomotives. Steam was still to dominate for many years yet and it was important that the engine crews could easily adapt to the new diesel locomotives.
Another example of how succesful industrial locomotive designs were to last, compare Mary with the 14 years younger Carroll. There were mechanical differences (the locomotive manufacturers often bought in engines from a number of suppliers) and a few ‘mod cons’ like air operated sanders but not a radically change design during over a decade, quite remarkable when you consider that this was the early years of internal combustion power.
This loco was actually one of a number built for the steel industry, however it now carries the identity of a similar loco that was supplied to British Railways and given the number D2999. The original loco was used in the Stratford area, however being non-standard it only had a short career before it was scrapped. Incidentally the original D2999 used a Leeds made McLaren engine, the last mainline loco to do so. Although our loco was instead fitted with a National engine by giving it the identity of D2999 it does give it a (fairly tenuous) link to the Leeds engine making industry.
138C started life as a Sentinel steam locomotive and was converted to a Diesel by the Rotherham firm of Thomas Hill in 1965. The locomotive worked at Wakefield Power Station until 1981 when it was purchased by a Middleton member and transferred to Middleton Railway in 1982.
DB998901 was built by Baguely of Burton on Trent to an order from Drewry and worked as an Overhead Line Inspection Vehicle, earning it the nickname Olive.
Originally ordered by the Londern & North Eastern Railway in 1947 for use on the Woodhead route. The nationalisation of the railways just a month later saw the order put on hiatus and it wasn't delivered until 1950, by this time going to British Railways' Eastern Region at Shenfield. After a number of years out of use it was handed over to the BR Research Department at Derby in the early 1970s. It was then used to maintain the overhead lines on the BR test track at Old Dalby in Leicestershire. It was purchased by the EM2 Locomotive Society and transferred to Middleton Railway in November 1997 where it has been converted to passenger use. With fairly limited capacity it comes out on quieter days and events.
Originally known as Greenwood & Batley this firm of Armley produced a number of battery powered locos for use in factories and mines. This engine worked in a coke works in Barnsley and was the last coke works loco they produced before the company was taken over by Hunslet Engine Co.
The unusual design means it will never be any use for our passenger service but is inteded for static display, and to represent the firm of Greenwood & Batley in our collection of Leeds built locomotives.
"Austins No 1" was built by the Bristol firm, Peckett & Sons Ltd which was primarily known for building steam engines for use in industry. In the late 1950's, Peckett attempted to develop its business by entering the growing diesel market. Only five diesel locomotives were built of which "Austins No 1" is the only 0-4-0 survivor. (An 0-6-0DM, which was works no. P5014 of 1959 is owned by National Power and preserved at Aberthaw Power Station in South Wales.) The locomotive was built in 1958 but did not find a buyer until 1961. For the next 10 years it worked for the West Yorkshire steel stockholders, James Austin & Son (Dewsbury) Ltd - hence its name. In 1971 the locomotive was no longer required by the company and was moved to the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway on permanent loan. It saw regular use there until the early 1990's when it was withdrawn from use. Following discussions between the Middleton Railway, the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway and the locomotive owners in 2001, "Austins No 1" was moved to the Middleton Railway where it underwent some modifications including the fitting of vacuum brake equipment to enable it to work passenger trains.
Displaying Fowler's later design of shunter with its streamlined bonnet, this engine was built in 1965, 20 years later than our other Fowler. It was delivered to British Industrial Sugar and spent its entire working life with the company. It has been to a few preserved railways before finally finding a home much closer to its birthplace.
Construction of this loco began in 1966, however the part built loco remained outside the works for several years. In 1970 it was completed and supplied to Avenue Coke and Carbonisation Works at Wingerworth near Chesterfield in February 1971. Hudswell Clarke had been taken over by Hunslet Engine Company and any remaining Hudswell orders were completed in the Hunslet works, D1345 was the last locomotive to leave Hudswell's Railway Foundry.
From the late 1960s until the end of standard gauge loco production in Leeds in the mid 80s Hunslet's shunters had quite a plain look to them, usually with a cab in the centre and fairly small boxes either side containing the mechanical bits. This was great for industrial use allowing the driver a good view so they could perform shunting duties safely. Large numbers of similar shunters to this were supplied for steel works, chemical works, mines and even military use. This particular locomotive was employed in Connoco's chemical works until it was bought by a Middleton member in 2011
Our four wheel coaches have been built in house using old Southern ‘PMV’ parcels vans. This has provided us with small coaches suitable for our line and in keeping with the workers ‘paddy train’ or light railway style train appearance more appropriate to our locomotives than the ex BR carriages that operate on many lines. Unlike the basic carriages found on light railways and industrial systems we have fitted heating in ours though, good news if you visit in winter!
Our coach fleet is formed of the following Southern PMVs, 1867 (Standard Brake), 2084 (Standard Trailer), 1074 (Standard Brake with easier wheelchair access - under construction)
As our railway is dedicated largely to industrial railways it wouldn’t be complete without wagons to run with our locomotives, we have quite a collection of restored wagons. Demonstration freight trains or light railway style mixed trains are often run at special events, we are also happy to arrange photo charter events.
As well as its prolific locomotive building the city of Leeds was home to a number of crane makers and we have a few examples of the sort of rail cranes they produced. We have steam cranes by Joseph Booth of Rodley and Isles of Stanningly as well as diesel cranes by Joseph Booth and Thomas Smith of Rodley.
Above – A diesel powered Smith rail mounted crane, this crane was previously used in Scunthorpe steel works. It is seen here lifting the sectioned boiler previously carried by Sir Berkeley as it is moved in to the engine house for display
You will by now have noticed that many of our locomotives were built in Leeds, this is true of many industrial locomotives across the world. Leeds was one of the biggest producers of industrial locomotives. Our Engine House museum has a lot to say about our local engine making heritage. More can also be read online at leedsengine.info This site has been produced by members of the Middleton Railway and the Leeds and District Traction Engine Club.
There are all sorts of stories about our engines, from hauling wagons around quarries to building the Great Central Railway. Much more information about our engines, their working lives and how they came to be in our collection can be found in the Stocklist available in our shop for a very reasonable price.